Saturday, January 13, 2007

Amazing News!

Friday afternoon, one of my coworkers walked up behind me at my desk and said, "Go to kmov.com right now, you're not going to believe this!" As I did I heard gasps and various people around me expressing shock and disbelief as they found out themselves. It was amazing and wonderful news...

On Monday afternoon a young boy, Ben Ownsby, was abducted from a small town near St. Louis. An Amber Alert was put out and all week this week we've been bombarded with pictures of Ben and the information that a white Nissan truck with dents, rust and a camper shell was seen speeding away by a fellow student. Whenever a child goes missing it's absolutely heartbreaking. Ben's parents and sister were were on the news and the Today Show asking for help from the public.

And then yesterday afternoon the most amazing thing happened. They found Ben in an apartment in Kirkwood (suburban St. Louis). But even more amazing than that they also found Shawn Hornbeck in that same apartment! Shawn has been missing since October of 2002. His parents have been very active in a foundation for missing children they created in Shawn's name and have been on the news on the anniversary of Shawn's abduction every year reminding the public that Shawn is still out there somewhere. And he was!

I was glued to the news all afternoon yesterday as the story unfolded and have been crying my way through breakfast this morning watching the grateful and happy families thanking the police, FBI and public in press conferences.

I won't type out the whole story here, it's all over the news so you've all seen it - and if you haven't, here's a link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16607683/

Needless to say, I think everybody in the area is elated. As I walking to my car yesterday from work, everyone around me was on their phone talking about it. We went out to dinner and it was the topic of everybody's conversation. Miracles do happen.

No comments: