Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Burgers and Fries for Father's Day... or are they?

Jeremy and I hosted Father's Day for our families this year and I decided to make a little something special for everyone... burgers and fries. What's so special about burgers and fries, you ask? Because they're for dessert!
Where are the fries? Yeah... uh, I forgot to take pics after I added the fries to the plates. So you'll just have to play along. And honestly, I can't take credit for these little creations - I got the idea from Bakerella, just had to wait until Father's Day to do it. And I needed to take something in to work the next Monday for a birthday celebration so I thought I'd just make some extra burgers!

They're really easy to make - just a little time consuming. Well, actually a lot time consuming. You start with a batch of fudgy brownies and yellow cupcakes.

 
The fries are made with sugar cookies. I rolled out a batch of sugar cookies, sprinkled liberally with sugar, and then used a pizza cutter to cut them into long strips to replicate french fries.
Cut the cupcakes in half to use as your buns, and using a 2" cookie cutter, cut "hamburger" rounds out of the brownies. Below is the last picture I took that included the "fries". After this picture (and while they were still warm) I cut them in half and tossed them all in even more sugar. They looked JUST LIKE french fries. Sorry there are no pics of the final result. :(

So back to the burgers. Place a brownie "burger" between the two cupcake "buns"...
Now that would be a burger I'd have ordered as a kid. Plain, plain, plain. No ketchup, no mustard, no icky stuff on it. However, now I like a little more yummy on my burgers! I took a batch of vanilla icing and divided it into thirds, adding yellow, red and green to each third. So first we do the mustard...
And then the ketchup...
And finally the lettuce and the sesame seeds on our bun. Ew, I know - but not really. You can't taste them at all and what looks more like sesame seeds than sesame seeds?
These were so much fun to make and quite a hit as well. Especially with the kids. My two year old nephew, Hunter, thought these were the best hamburgers he's ever had in his WHOLE life!

UPDATE: Here's a picture that includes the "fries". (Thanks Mom!).

2 comments:

Barb said...

Loved these. Your mom brought some back to show us. So very clever!!

Janie said...

They were so authentic looking! You're right about Hunter's response, his grin said it all. You are so talented and creative.