Saturday, December 27, 2008

Offensive emails

I can’t continue to delete emails I find offensive without saying anything any longer. I’m incredibly tired of people I know, and that seem to think they know me, assuming that I would find such trash amusing. I’ve never done or said anything to make you think that I’m racist, homophobic, bigoted or harbor ill will toward any race or religious group. But perhaps it’s not something I’ve done or said – maybe it’s something I haven’t done or said. So I’m saying it now – STOP.

I’m going to make this very, very clear and spell it out quite specifically so there’s no confusion. Stop sending me the racist “jokes” and email, the homophobic “jokes” and email, the bigoted “jokes” and email, the emails full of inaccurate and spiteful information regarding Obama or Bush or McCain or anybody else. I don’t want to see another email in my inbox about Muslims or Arabs. No more emails about how stupid all Democrats are or how racist all Republicans are.

Not only do I not share your beliefs, but there are a lot of people in my life that I care very deeply about who are not Protestant straight white men. Shockingly enough there are both Democrats and Republicans in my life and in my family, there are blacks and homosexuals in my life and in my family. I know and love many people from many walks of life. So I find such commentary personally offensive.

No more sexist emails either. In case you’re too stupid to notice – I’m a woman. There’s a big difference between a funny email poking fun at the differences between men and women and a sexist email. And if you’re too stupid to know the difference, err on the side of caution and don’t bother emailing it to me – as a matter of fact, feel free not to email me at all in the future.

If you actually know me, you know I have a sense of humor. The majority of the emails I get are funny or touching, they are not offensive. Don't let this make you all paranoid or afraid to send me anything. If this message is about you, you know it.

No comments: