Monday, December 01, 2008

2008 Deer Season - my first deer!

FAIR WARNING: THIS POST IS ABOUT DEER HUNTING, IT'S NEITHER GRAPHIC NOR BLOODY... BUT DON'T READ IT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE OR HEAR ABOUT HUNTING.


Whoo-hoo! Got my first deer. Finally...

A couple of years ago, the weather was beautiful during black powder season so I joined Jeremy as a spectator and was with him when he harvested a doe. It got me interested in deer hunting myself. So I took my hunter safety course, bought my own bow and took lessons. So by the fall of 2007 I was ready - and pumped. I went out a lot. I had several opportunities during bow season and missed every time. I was very frustrated and really mad at myself. And then because circumstances conspired against me I was only able to go out a couple of times during rifle season and didn't have a single opportunity. So by the end of 2007's deer season I was just about over it already. I told Jeremy that I was going to take the entire week of rifle season off work for the 2008 season and if I didn't get anything - that was it. I'd be done. Not so much one for patience, as you know.

So this year I went out during bow season a couple of times, but there was really never an opportunity for me to even take a shot. So rifle season rolled around and I was ready - and determined. And sure enough about an hour and a half into my first morning she came out of the woods and meandered toward me. I was using Jeremy's 7 mm and it has a scope on it. She got within about 130-150 yards and I shot, she went right down. I was full of adrenaline and excited, but to be honest I was also a little sad at the same time. Mostly, I was very proud of myself and happy that Jeremy was there with me.

But next was the hard part. Had to get her across the island, into the boat, across the river, into the truck and up to Mom and Dad's place. Then I'd have to field dress her. I've watched Jeremy and my cousin Clay do it several times. I wasn't really sure I could do it - it's pretty gross. But I felt like it was only fair for me to do it - I took her, I needed to do all the dirty work myself. So we got her to the house and I scrounged up a pair of rubber gloves (no way was I doing this with my bare hands). Mom's pretty grossed out by the whole process, too - but she came out and took some pics because she said nobody would believe I did it if there weren't photographic proof. Below is a pic of Dad telling me exactly what I'm going to have to do - and my reaction.

I clearly did not enjoy this part. But I did it, at least I did about 85% of it. I couldn't get through the ribs and I was seriously starting to think I was going to throw up (the smell isn't very pleasant), so Dad took over for about five minutes to get through the ribs and give me a chance to take a few deep breaths. Then I took back over.

Dad and Jeremy (and the guys at the processing plant and my cousins, etc) made fun of me for it, but I'm getting her head mounted. I know she's a doe, and nobody mounts a doe - but she's my first. And you only have one first.

Jeremy took a nice big 10 point buck the next weekend during black powder season. He'd already taken a doe during bow season. I think he was a little disappointed that I didn't want to keep going out until I got a buck, but the weather got really cold and nasty - and I'm not that obsessed/dedicated. At least not yet...

Here's Jeremy's buck...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're a natural! Congrats on your doe!