Monday, October 08, 2007

The Self-Neukomm Wedding


At long last, Mike and Mary Beth are married. They were married on September 22 and it was just beautiful. And as you can see from the pics - they're pretty happy! They went to Hawaii for their honeymoon and just got back last week.

The reception was one hell of a party - everyone had a great time. And if they didn't - it was their own fault. BB&B was there in full force (of course). We have pics of all nine of us all dressed up in the same place (a very rare thing, trust me) - once I can get one of those pics, I'll be sure to post it.

MB asked me to be her matron of honor (argh - "matron" makes me sound so old), so I gave a toast at the wedding. This won't mean much to those of you who don't know MB and I - but I'll post it anyway.

There are thousands, no millions, of people out there who truly mean it when they say, “I hate to say I told you so”. For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Heather Broad – and I am not one of those people.

I am absolutely thrilled, ecstatic, over-the-moon with joy and honored to be standing here at your wedding and be able to say, “I told you so”, and “I told you so”.

I met Mike a little over eight years ago and he has been one of my favorite people ever since. Mike unwittingly introduced me to my husband, Jeremy, exactly eight years ago Sunday. And Mary Beth is my nearest and dearest friend. She is the friend I turn to first. Whenever I need her, she’s there – whether it’s to take a roadtrip to Memphis at the last minute just because I need a little B.B. King; or because I’m falling apart and need somebody there to help hold me together.

So when my two favorite people were finally single at the same time, I knew they needed to be together. So I took it upon myself to shove that fact down their throats. I did some very crafty maneuvering behind-the-scenes to get them together. I dropped subtle hints such as “If you don’t go out with Mike and fall in love and get married and have babies with him you’re a total moron,” and “So anyway, I’m just saying – If I were a single man I’d totally fall in love with Mary Beth and live happily ever after because otherwise I’d have to be a complete idiot. But you can do whatever you want... if you want to be an idiot.” And you know up until this very moment right now – I don’t think either of them had any idea what I was up to…


In closing…for along time, Mary Beth thought she was Carrie from Sex In The City – but she’s not, she’s much more like Charlotte. She wanted all the romance, the handsome husband, the happy family, the white picket fence and the whole nine yards. She just didn’t know it until Mike - her knight in shining armor - showed up, roses in hand.

So a toast to Mike and Mary Beth – to love, laughter and happily ever after. Cheers!


So... I think this pretty much wraps up my wedding career. All of our siblings and most of our close friends are married now (or not interested in getting married anyway) - so it'll probably be a while before we're involved in anymore weddings. At least until the second marriages start!

No comments: