Friday, October 26, 2007

Jeremy's HUGE buck...

So yeah - we didn't even know it was a buck until we turned it over and saw his... buckhood. I mentioned in my last post that it's bow season. So J and I have been in the woods almost every weekend since the season opened - as a matter of fact, we're headed up to my parents' place again this afternoon.. Last Saturday he shot what we thought was a doe - he didn't even have buttons showing, just bumps on his skull that would have eventually turned into buttons (that's what he's pointing at in the pic above)! But a young doe or young buck is the best tasting meat, so we're pleased. Of course now he's going to spend the rest of the winter being picky and looking for a nice big buck with a monster rack. I, on the other hand, am still just waiting to shoot something! I've shot twice - hit the deer I was shooting at the first time and gave her a nasty little paper cut on her back, I think I totally missed the second time.

As some of you already know, I spent most of this year pursuing my C.P.M. (Certified Purchasing Manager) certification. Getting your C.P.M. is something like an accountant getting their CPA or, to a lesser extent, like a lawyer passing the bar. The C.P.M. designation is globally the most recognized designation for supply management professionals. This means more money, better jobs, more recognition, etc. In order to qualify one has to pass Modules 1 through 4 of the C.P.M. Exam (which are very difficult), and have either five years of full-time professional (non-clerical, non-support) supply management experience or three years of full-time professional supply management experience and a four-year degree. Once you're certified you have to be recertified every five years (which is a huge pain!) - until you have 18 years of full-time professional supply management experience, and then you receive your lifetime certification.

I started early last spring, took night classes and review classes and studied my butt off and passed all four modules on the first try, sent in my application and am finally officially certified! I have just over eight years of experience, so I'll only have to recertify once before I'll have my lifetime certification. I am incredibly relieved to have this under my belt. It took a lot of time and money - but in the long run I know it'll be worth it.

No comments: