Sunday, December 12, 2010

Snow Day Snowmen!


So when we got up Sunday morning and saw that we had a beautiful blanket of snow on the ground, we thought it was beautiful. We had a full day of errands and kids' bday parties and Broad Family Hannukah ahead of us so Jeremy started wrapping presents while I bundled up to go run some errands.

Pulled out onto Upper Bottom Road and decided the "beautiful blanket of snow" wasn't so beautiful. The road hadn't been touched.
 At least once I got to the highway, the road had been cleared - not that it mattered. There was patchy black ice underneath all that snow. Guess the guy in the green truck facing the wrong way against the median found that out the hard way...
 Saw an accident on Highway 70 west bound...
 Saw an accident at Page Extension and Upper Bottom...
 But the good news is - I got my Venti, no fat, no foam, no whip Gingerbread Latte! Was it worth it? Well, no doi it was worth it. Have you met me????
 Anyway - by the time I got home I told Jeremy I didn't think it was a good idea to get out on the roads and head out to Wentzville. We hated to miss the beautiful Miss Avah's Second birthday party, but we have to be at Jeremy's dad's for Channukah at 4 and it was just to iffy to drive out toWentzville and back and then into Chesterfield and back. So I suddenly had a free afternoon - and that NEVER happens.

So I decided to devote my day to Graduate Finance and the pursuit of higher learning. Now let's discuss Value at Risk and the effect it may or may not have had in the failure of the subprime market in 2007-2008. Dennis Weathestone, the former CEO of ... HA! Yeah right.

So I REALLY decided to spend the afternoon doing something fun for a change! I don't take the title of "Best Aunt on Earth" lightly, you know, so I made snowmen for the kids. We're still going to try to make it to Jay's tonight for the Hannukah gift exchange, so the kids will get an extra treat.

These snowmen are SUPER easy to make the kids just love them. They'd be fun to make with little ones as well. All you need are mini powdered donuts, candy corn, mini chocolate chips, popsicle sticks, toothpicks and black construction paper.

I made little pedastals to put them on with some white textured wrapping paper scraps I had left over from a wedding gift I'd wrapped. I just covered a square of cardboard,
 and then poked a hole in the center, put a little glue on a popsicle stick and put it in the hole.
 Stack three powdered donuts on your stick... (see Miss Gingerbread Latte in the back ground? I love her.)
 My snowman assembly line.
 Cut a length of yard to wrap around the neck as a scarf and push a piece of candy corn into the top donut for your snowman nose...
 Up close...
 Now use one of your popsicle sticks to poke little holes for the eyes and buttons - it makes exactly the right size hole for the mini chocolate chips. Then put the mini chips in pointed end first.
 To make the hats I just used black construction paper. I tried several edible options, but nothing looked quite right (which  means I have chocolate mallowcookies, chocolate wafers and black dots to eat... poor me). So I just cut 1 inch rounds, 2 in rounds and long strips to create the hats.
 Glue it all in place... had to find small weights to hold them together while the glue dries.
 Then poke a hole in the bottom of your had and pop it on top. Use a couple of toothpicks as arms and you're good to go!

2 comments:

John Bailey said...

Just so I understand, you were taking pictures of crashes that happened because of the crappy weather while driving in same said crappy weather but it was ok because you got a gingerbread foo-foo? As I'm writing this I still think it's nuts and something Michelle would do. Don't tell her I said that. That said, snowmen are very cool.

Janie said...

WAIT I was really getting into that Value at Risk & the subprime...ok so maybe I too could be lured away with a gingerbread latte & those cute little snowmen. Adorable!