Thursday, October 23, 2008

A Heartfelt Thank You - and an email update service

Jeremy and I have been overwhelmed by all the wonderful messages, calls and cards we've received after Chaser's death. We are so incredibly lucky to have so many wonderful people in our lives that care about us. I can't say that it made losing him any easier, but it certainly meant the world to us. We also got emails from people we don't even know that are reading my blog - which was very thoughtful as well.

We'd like to say a special thank you to the staff at Happy Tails. Happy Tails is the doggie day care center that we took Chase to for the last year or so. He'd progressed to the point that he couldn't make it through a work day without going potty, so we put him in day care. The people there were just wonderful. Chase was already mostly deaf and blind by then - so he was anxious, which translates to one crabby old man when you take him out of his home. So he wasn't exactly the sweet cuddly little dog you all remember when he got to Happy Tails. But they were incredibly patient with him. They spoiled him, they tolerated his less-than-sunny disposition when he was tired or the weather was bad (he hated bad weather). Last winter they even bought him his own little parka to wear outside! They sent pictures home of him playing with his new doggie friends so we could see that he was doing okay during the day. They even put a picture of him up at the center for everyone else to see. He had a few special friends who always had a treat for him and a little extra love. I had planned on going in to let them know last Monday that Chase wouldn't be back, but I couldn't do it - it was just too hard to go back in there. So I emailed them instead. I got a call yesterday telling me how much they missed him and Megan (one of Chaser's special friends) left a comment on the post below. You guys do wonderful work there and I highly recommend them to anyone and everyone!

So on that note - as many of you know, I've been sending out an email to those who were interested each time I updated the blog. But the list keeps getting a little longer, and email addresses change, and I forget to sent it out, etc. So I found a service, FeedBlitz, that will do it for me. On the right side of the blog, underneath the "About Me" section is a new section - "Email subscriptions powered by FeedBlitz". All you need to do is enter your email address to sign up. FeedBlitz will send you a confirming email that you'll have to respond to and you'll then get an email automatically each time I update. The email will contain a link tot he update as well as the text of the latest post, but no pictures or anything - so you'll want to just click on the link.

Note about email notifications: It's totally private - even from me. They don't sell/distribute email addresses, so you won't start getting a bunch of spam as a result of signing up with FeedBlitz. I did only sign up for the free service though, which means there will be ads in the email notification you recieve. I can pay a monthly fee to make sure you get ad-free emails, but I'm not making any money off this - so I don't want to spend any!

No comments: